(Picture from the Deseret News)Last week a sweet friend's husband was killed while serving in Afghanistan. He was a Physician's Assistant in the Army and was killed by an improvised explosive device while on a mission to help and heal. So many thoughts have been going through my mind this last week, I wonder how she's doing, holding up, coping....why a good man was taken from his family at such a young age.
Today we attended the services for Captain Cory Jenkins, and I think I can stop wondering, and am reminded of the beautiful gift of the Plan of Salvation. I don't like funerals, they make my stomach hurt. This time though, I left feeling so inspired, uplifted and moved. The word moved is a verb and implies action. This young man's life was one of action - of serving his fellow man all the days of his life. I was so impressed how so like the Savior he tried to be, and even in his last moment, he was thinking of someone else and on his way to help someone else. What a glorious thing it is to live your life not thinking always of yourself, but always putting others needs before your own. What a beautiful legacy he has left for his wife and his sweet baby.
And what a beautiful example of life well lived and full. He got what it was all about. He understood. It was hard to be sad and cry because a brave young man was taken from this earth. It was easy to cry because we celebrate the life of a true Elder, a wonderful American soldier, and a hero.
"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:7
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:7
We know where he has gone. A place of happiness and rest where there is no worry and he is safe.
As for my friend, what a strong, Godly woman she is. She gets it too. And the grace, fortitude and faith with which she carries and conducts herself in this trial in her life is a great inspiration to all who witness it.
The Plan of Salvation is a precious, priceless gift we will spend our whole lives trying to understand and grasp. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who sustains us all. I'm so grateful for a beautiful Savior who loves us enough to put us first. He is real. I'm so grateful for the temple, that we can feel God's presence there and know of his love, and be sealed to our families forever.
What a beautiful service, so perfect a tribute for a life patterned after the life of Jesus Christ. The patriot guard with flags lining the street, the parking lot, the entrance of the church was a site to behold. The words spoken and the testimony shared, the spirit felt.... has left this woman feeling moved to improve her life, to make it more of a joyous celebration and testimony of Jesus Christ. Here is a beautiful article and slideshow from the East Valley Tribune.





2 comments:
What a beautiful and loving tribute!
it's always sad to see our loved ones go on, while we are left. oh what a joyous reunion it will be to see them again, someday. i love what you wrote!
Post a Comment