Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Catching up....sorry for the hiatus

I have so much to catch up on..... due to morning sickness I haven't felt much like sitting in front of the computer.... it's weird. With James it lasted the entire pregnancy, but I could at least throw up and feel better for a while. With Thomas it wasn't nearly as bad and was gone by 16 weeks. Both times it started well after 6 weeks. This time I have been sick from the get go. Sometimes I feel okay, other days I feel like death. Don't get me wrong, I'm SOOOOO grateful, I truly am!! I know that we are blessed. It's just hard to focus on that sometimes when you're walking around with a constant, bad case of motion sickness! I have a pretty high pain threshhold. EXCEPT for nausea and vomiting. Then I am THE BIGGEST wimp and cry baby around. Just ask Jeff. What a trooper he is to put up with me. Consequently, I am behind on EVERYTHING.

So a very brief recap.

The beginning of April brought us James's 3rd birthday. Yippee!!! He was happy and had a great day!
Then Jeff and I went to San Diego. He had an education conference and I had a couple of days to myself. It was so nice, although I did get lonely. I sure do love San Diego though! One evening we went on a ghost tour. Yes, Jeff actually agreed to go, I was shocked as well. Unfortunately it was totally ridiculous, but we had a lot of fun making fun of our "guide" and giggling the whole time. What a joke.
Here's Jeff and I on our ghost tour. Doesn't he look just thrilled to be there? And no, his head is not really that much larger than mine. It's the angle. Really. I promise.
Then it was time for Damian's baptism. BEAUTIFUL!
Then we got a new rug for the living room from IKEA that I LOVE. I dig bright colors. They make me super happy. Who needs prozac when there's red and orange rugs like this??? Recently we told James and Thomas that we are going to have another baby. James said "No, I think I just want Thomas." I said "Well of course, we're going to keep Thomas!! We're just getting another baby to play with!" He said "Um.... okay." I said "Do you want a boy or a girl?" He said "How about.... a MAGICIAN! Then everything could be magical! And when the magician gets all dirty we can throw him in the washing machine or in the sink and he'll be all clean again!" So we've taken to calling the new baby The Magician. James is a crack up!(I just had to throw on this adorable shot of Thomas at the piano. Please indulge me.)
Easter was great - the Johnson Family picnic.... so fun as usual!! I had a blast following the kids around taking pictures with my brand new SWEET camera Jeff got me for an early birthday/mother's day gift. My other one got stolen. Out of the diaper bag at church no less. Don't be naive enough to think people won't steal from you at church. Moving on.

Here's the drama from the past couple of weeks. About two weeks ago or so I was sitting at a stop light on Campbell. A guy was backing out of his driveway too fast and wasn't paying attention and hit our Pilot. He was so nice, accepted responsibility. We took our car to the body shop and his insurance covered it. No problems. They gave us a rental - a Kia Spectra which was a tiny tin can and I hated it. Well we had it for a week while our car was in the shop. On the last day of driving the Spectra (we were picking up our car that afternoon), I was on the freeway heading to work. Traffic slowed just coming out of the tunnel, so I slowed down too. I looked in my rearview mirror to see the car behind was not slowing down.... not stopping and CRASH she slammed into me. I was annoyed and a little freaked out. Are you kidding me?? I hit the car in front of me, so the three of us pull off to the median. Well the lady that hit me suddenly appears banging on my window, I exit the vehicle. The rest is bizarre and stuff I've only seen on tv. I was detached from the whole thing and staring at her thinking "Is this seriously happening to me??" Long story short. She threw herself into my arms sobbing and asking if I was okay. I told her yes, at which point she gets on her knees and starts kissing my hands, which completely freaked me out, as I have a large personal space that doesn't react well to being invaded. "Please get off the ground .... please get off the ground...." People are staring. I'm incredibly uncomfortable.
She is crying so hard, she's a total basket case, I've never seen anyone act like that in real life. I'm telling you, she was FREAKING OUT - told me she hit me because she was on the phone with her mom.... then she says her license is suspended, and she doesn't have insurance..... will I accept a payoff not to call the police? A pay off? REally? No way lady..... this is a rental....I am pregnant..... I have to call it in. She proceeds to scream hysterically and pace while running begging me not to call the police and teraing her hair out.... they will take her away.... she doesn't have a greencard and her mom died and she is trying to leave the country (wow she can talk on the phone to her dead mother, but can't keep a driver's license? And just exactly how do you get a driver's license if you don't have a greencard - remember she HAS one, it's just suspended) This continues, while the lady that I hit says that she will accept a pay off and leave the scene as if nothing ever happened. Are you KIDDING ME? So I then get in the Spectra to call the police and the woman in hysterics follows me into the car ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE- MY side- and proceeds to try and drag me out of the car. Oh no. I don't think so. I'm nearly 6 ft tall and I'm pregnant and you just don't cross that line with me. Turns out the woman I hit after I was rearended did not have a driver's license or insurance either. So ridiculous. Because of that, my insurance had to cover the Spectra, and I had to fork out a $500 deductible that day. They assured me they would try and get it back from Ms. Can't Control Myself, but I'm not holding my breath. Wrong place wrong time. Bad luck. Karma. Whatever you want to call it. I obeyed the law, I didn't do anything wrong. They break the law and who gets to pay for it? That's right. ME. Ugh. Infuriating and so unjust. Moving on.
Mother's Day and my birthday came and went and were as lovely as ever. :) Okay that's a lie. I've had better birthdays. None of the good ones included my head in the porcelein throne. This one did. I told you I'm a big baby when it comes to puking.
I think that about covers it as far as updates go. If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

4 comments:

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

We had a car accident like yours a few years back, so infuriating! You've been so busy- what a fun trip, and everything else!!! :)

Jess said...

All I can say is WOW. While the accident is nothing to laugh at, I really am laughing out loud picturing the look on your face as this wacked-out crazy lady is kissing your hands and following you into the car. Only you, dear sister! I'm glad you're ok. Love you!

Cossebooms said...

Well Congratulations on your pregnancy. Happy Birthday late! And that totally stinks about the car accident with the rental. That is so unfair that we have to pay for people that aren't covered. What a rip off. Glad you are okay!

Heather Gray said...

That car accident sounds totally crazy! Congratulations on your pregnancy though. I really hope the morning sickness ends soon. Good luck with everything!