Saturday, September 27, 2008

Grandma Mae

Beautiful Mae James

Today was the memorial service for my Grandma Mae James - my dad's mom, who passed away recently from cancer. My memories of her don't do justice to the beautiful person she truly is. My grandma struggled with mental illness for the last 40 years of her life - brought on by so many tragedies... and so the Grandma Mae I knew was not the person she truly was inside.


She was amazing. And I'm so happy that I got to learn what she was like when she was young - from my dad's perspective. He wrote her life sketch and my brother Carty read it. Learning about her makes me proud to come from such a beautiful person.

She was born legally blind, and she went to a school for the blind where she learned how to read braille - and found an incredible love and talent for music. She taught herself how to play the guitar, the mandolin, the organ - and many other instruments. Later she regained sight in one eye (my sister Kelli is also blind in one eye -I got the gappy teeth and she got the blind eye, and Jessie got the teensy weensy waist!) so she was able to do all the artistic things she loved - Like paiting and sketching.
(her self portrait)

She was an incredible artist. She also sang and wrote beautiful poetry and music.
I think a lot of my love for all things artistic comes from her (along with that famous gap in my front teeth).
She was a woman who loved deeply and felt her losses intensely. Her life was filled with so much love, and sorrow too....She lost two husbands - the first to WWII and the second was my Grandpa Roy James - the love of her life.
Jessica read a beautiful poem that my Grandma Mae wrote to him after he passed away suddenly:

PARADISE LOST

Tho your gone your not forgotten,
Memories live within my heart.
Tho our earthly ties are broken,
Rest assured we'll never part.

For we shared True Love's Devotion,
Paradise few mortals know.
And its memory draws you to me,
With a warm and tender glow.

Tho the years look long and dreary,
Down Life's pthway I must tread.
Living memories keep you with me,
Courage found to look ahead.

You have taught me True Compassion,
Greater wisdom, who has known?
And the meaning of true living,
In my earthly life has grown.

Cherished dear, are all these treasures,
Precious Pearl beyond compare,
Is the knowledge that you loved me,
And you're waiting over there.

Tho you're gone you're not forgotten,
While I walk here all alone,
I am thankful for my memories
And the heaven I have known.

When my earthly ties are finished,
And life's battle here is won,
I will join you over yonder,
Far beyond the setting sun.

For we shared Pure Love's Devotion
Paradise few Mortals know.
You are gone but not forgotten,
Where you've gone I soon will go.

Mae James - for Roy James

I'm amazed at her incredible abilities, and I hope to know her better one day - to be friends and have conversations and sing and make music. She was a remarkable lady, and I feel close to her and love her - because even though sometimes our minds fail us, our spirits are still alive and well and connect with people who love them. What an awesome blessing that now she can be with Grandpa Roy - and Aunt Peggy who passed away recently- free from her suffering here. Now she gets to do all of those things she loved to do!
Here are some pictures from our weekend. I had a wonderful time, and hope we can get together again soon (preferrably NOT for a funeral, please) - and it was so nice to sit and talk with Dad and hear him talk about his childhood and all the amazing things he did! Like working 2-3 jobs and still getting straight A's! (Obviously I didn't get that kind of focus :)
Mr. Smarty Pants himself - my dad on his graduation day
The older grandkids (except for Dillon, who was hiding under the bed because he didn't want his picture taken)

Family pic: Carty, Dad and Vickie, Kelli, Jessie, and me (as you can see my hair is in the painful growing out stage... ugh - and only 40 more lbs to go until goal weight! hurray!) My sister Jessica and my brother Carty

We thought it would be fun to stay at the Wigwams - since we were in Holbrook :)


Alex and Crazy Auntie KimiThomas and his buddy - Uncle Carty - (He LOVES his Uncle Carty!) Jessie and Alex Crazy Hair SilvaJames with Grandpa's law enforcement ear muffs (keeps the sound out at the shooting range)

Thomas and some old guy he made friends with at the service (he's a very social kid)


Gramma and Alex

My dad My sisters Kelli and Jessica and I

Now some cool pics of Dad

A picture of me and my daddy Dad with Carty, Me and Kelli My dad as a baby Officer Dad Dad in uniform - proud to serve


Dad and James

3 comments:

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

Such beautiful pictures and memories... We love you!

Mamie Coffey said...

Cool post. I love old pics. eh hem... I didn't see my blog listed under your faves.. what gives?! I have yours on mine ;)

Josiah & Bridgette Ridley said...

Hey Kim!

I saw your name on John & Holli's blog and was delighted to see that it really is you! I think about you all of the time!

I think that you look like your Grandma Mae, in that self-portrait picture I thought it was you for a second! ;o)

I miss you girl, drop me a line sometime! budgedancer@gmail.com.

Love you girl!
Bridgette Peterson :o)