Monday, March 3, 2008

Breast Cancer 3 Day

A couple of years ago my Aunt Chrys was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer. We were all shocked, and it made breast cancer a real thing to me.... it put a face to breast cancer for me. We were living in New York at the time, so I didn't see her fight in person, but I watched it from afar. She was and is a tremendous source of inspiration for me. She had radiation and chemo, and I got to see her without her hair when we moved home. She wore her patchy bald head with pride! She never complained, and always seemed so calm and so full of faith and acceptance. She has all of her hair now and is cancer free right now.
Since she got her diagnosis I have thought about what I can do - I've researched breast cancer, ruminated over breast cancer, done the self checks faithfully. I've gotten choked up over those breast cancer 3 day stories in magazines and on the radio (and I am NOT a teary type person). I've been thinking for a long time now that I ought to sign up for that.... I never mentioned it to anyone though, as I didn't know what our plans for the year involve. Since 2008 does not involve a third pregnancy, why not?
Tonight my phone rang and it was my sister Kelli. She said "I was thinking.... I have this idea...." as it turns out we've been thinking of the same thing for a while now, and we've decided to form a team, and walk for Chrys.
I can't help but think that somehow this is meant to be! Between now and November 14 I am committed to fundraise $2200 for the cause. Be prepared to hear from me!! Dig deep people, I need your pocket change! Kelli is our team captain. I make excellent support staff, I don't like to be in charge. She is.... dare I say it.... a. retentive (and I'm the one with OCD! Figure that one out! I love you Kelli :) and likes to be in charge. I'm happy to let her do it! It will be a scary day if I am ever made President of anything. haha! Anyway, I'm excited!

2 comments:

Allie said...

You guys are awesome! I'd love to help out!

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

Such an awesome cause and fabulous effort. You totally have our support!