So I started the Bob Greene "Best Life Diet" thing - the whole concept is not "diet" in the sense of cut-calories-and-lose-weight-so-you-can-look-good-naked-or-look-good-for-your-best friend's-wedding-or-look-good-for-the-reunion-or-look-good-so-all-your-pencil-thin-skeletal-small-town-lap-band-pals-won't-judge-you-and-think-you're-fat-whatever. It's "diet" as in the traditional sense of the word - a way of eating. A way of eating healthy so that you can get your metabolism the way it is supposed to be, lose weight, keep it off, and eat in a way that your body can get all of the nutrients it needs from your foods. It's all the rage with Oprah, but - don't hate me - I'm not an Oprah fan and that's not why I am doing it. On the radio this morning I heard someone talking about Jesus and the other dj said "Wait - isn't Oprah Jesus?" Anyway - does not being a fan of Oprah make me not a woman? Or not American? i don't think so. I'm not voting for Mitt Romney either, just so you know. Does that make me an unrighteous Mormon? If you think that then you have probs and are whacked in important ways. I digress. Whatever. Anyway, so I've been trying this Best Life Diet and it's hard. I have issues with emotional eating. Whatever. Anyway, there is a reason Bob Greene says in the first chapter not to weigh yourself for the first four weeks. I've been trying to lose weight for a while, and I always fall off the wagon so to speak, and pastries are my weakness. (By the way 'half the fat' stuff doesn't count if you're going to eat twice as much, it all ends up on your butt anyway) since I started trying to lose weight I'd weigh myself all the time - like every other day. I'd weigh myself after going to the bathroom, I'd weigh myself before my shower so the water in my hair wouldn't make me weigh more. Yeah I know. I need counselling. So - I asked Jeff to hide the scale. And I thought I was doing pretty well. Then I found the scale and I lost all respect for myself. I weighed myself and saw that instead of losing weight - I had gained! Even though I thought I was doing good! I was so sad I ate a cinnamon roll. Sigh...... don't weigh yourself in the first four weeks. It's too much of an emotional roller coaster. Not worth it. I always have to learn the hard way though, and make things as difficult as possible.
I'm stressed. And tired. And I need to watch "Lost". Later.





4 comments:
The road to healthy weight loss is a rocky one for sure. Thank goodness tomorrow is always a new day!
Whoa, Kim. I know what you mean about the scale obsession...I've been there. You know what helped me? I took on another obsession to replace it...probably not the best idea, but it did work for awhile. I started making quilts. Then when I got bored with that, I started reading books I hadn't read in years. Then when I got bored with that...wait that is "Now". I need a new hobbie. Painting? Movie Making? Making my husband happy? (uummmmm...hehehehe)
I'll let you know.:):):)
I love you.
I have the same problem!! Maybe it is genetic! hahaha
Oh my gosh! You and I are living the same life...geez! I am 20lbs. larger than I was last year. I compulsively weigh--as if the scale is going to magically go DOWN during the day. I am so frustrated...I just finished eating a cinammon roll as I was scrolling through your blog. Seriously! Let's do this toghether...hmmm...what do ya say?
Post a Comment