Wednesday, July 9, 2008

National 4th of July Parade

...The next morning we got up bright and early to head down to the parade route. There were lots of Parade staff and volunteers. As staff, Jeff and I got to go down to Independence and 4th street and tell the buses where to go as they came and dropped off the marching bands. Part of our job in marketing is to sell the parade (but it's really so amazing it sells itself!) and so it's so awesome to get to be down there when the buses come in so we can meet these people we've been working with! So we got to meet and greet, and get the buses out of there as quickly as possible. After the kids were unloaded and had their instruments, they went through the security check point and lined up on the National Mall to wait for the parade to start. It was so freaking sweaty and muggy out there!!! Nasty bum sweat on everyone (I know you were just dying to know that) but so many people looked like they wet their pants it was so hot and muggy, but really they were just sweating like crazy! And I felt so bad for these kids in their fancy uniforms, some of them from the midwest where their uniforms are wool! They were troopers though. I was impressed.

We did a lot of rushing around at this point, trying to get the kids through security and getting the buses out of there. I was sweaty, somehow got bird crap on my shirt, and then right in front of security and a marching band AND our clients the directors - I managed to run (not walk) face first into a bus. I had somewhere to be - I was focused and moving forward with a purpose. Looking back now I still can't figure out how in the heck I managed it - but I did - full force ran smack into the side of a bus with my face. Not the front of the bus, not the back of the bus, but the very middle. And I bounced off. The people who saw were freaking out (and laughing on the inside I'm sure )- but of course I laughed and staggered off.... totally mortified. And this sounds completely stupid - but my right nostril is still really sore!!

That was nothing compared to our performance manager - he took a nasty fall off the back of a golf cart that morning and landed on his head..... he spent several days in ICU in D.C. and we were so worried about him. Luckily it looks like he is going to be okay and he is out of the hospital now. That happening really put things into perspective though.

After all of the marching bands were where they were supposed to be, Jeff and I walked down to the reviewing stand around 14th and Constitution. The Parade runs down Constitution from 7th to 17th Streets. Short compared to other big parades, but that's good because it's so freaking hot! The crowds were huge - they were estimating 1.5 million!

This picture is looking down 12th street (I think ). The buildings are so huge!
The mariachis...

We missed the first 2/3 of the parade, but I did manage to catch some of it! I love the parade. No other parade compares in my mind to the ones in DC!! Here is a color guard from the Smithsonian (I would have loved to get the military units, but they are the first parade entries and we didn't get to see them), they guard the Hope Diamond and other priceless artifacts.the Bolivian dancers are in the parade every year, and their costumes are so colorful! this year this little guy was in the parade and he was so cute - he kept stopping trying to pick up rocks on the road. And here are some marching band shots. I wish I could have gotten more photos from all the different units!

Jewish veteransHere is Jeff, modelling (even though he doesn't realize it) our lovely parade staff t shirts (Thanks to Joy and Xan!) Here is me, after the parade looking a little wild and disheveled. We were tuckered out!!!That night, after a long nap and a shower.The next day we woke up bright and early again, and headed down to the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and readied for the festival/mass performance for Pueri Cantores. We were there all day and aside from a couple of snafus with lunches, everything went great and everyone was pleased!! And there were a few punk kids with attitudes - but we're working with 400 + kids ages 7-18 here so that is to be expected. All in all I was really impressed with them! And they sang beautifully!

Here is the inside of the Basilica before the mass/performance - so huge!! The pic is a little blurry, sorry. And here are Boomer and Jeff passing out programs. The trip was a terrific success!!! We had a wonderful time. I've been to D.C. for the Parade so many times.... but each time is as exciting and inspiring to me as the time before. I'm so grateful I get to have this time in my life where I get opportunities like this. Thanks MCI for taking us!! It was fabulous!

8 comments:

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

What an amazing adventure, pics and post! :) Your job is simply awesome. Love ya!

Angelic Kelli said...

I love the pics! And the bus story is just as funny reading it as it is hearing you tell it!! LOL!!

taytum said...

My cousin just started to mail out shower invitations for me, so I think that I will be a lot more prepared for this kid. I am definetly not feeling so panicked, so I think we will be fine. But if you want my mailing address it's po box 2171 st. johns az 85936

Kameron said...

What fun! Talk about flashback for me... Ü Last time I went I was the "fat lady" at the end of the parade, singing. Hello surreal... I love your pictures!!

Heather Gray said...

It sounds like you guys were pretty busy, but it looks like it was fun. I love the shot of the Basilica. I was raised Catholic, so I still have a fondness for the crazy ornateness of the cathedrals and such. Good times!

NancyM said...

You should be a tour guide. I feel like I went to D.C. with you guys. I am glad that you had so much fun!

Mary Postert said...

Looks like lots of fun. I miss my old stomping grounds there in DC. That story about you running into the bus is hilarious. Sorry, but it's true. Wish I could have seen if for myself.

kimber said...

Yeah..... the bus incident is soooooo me.... alas I seriously doubt I'll ever lose my ability to make a complete ars out of myself in public. :)