Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dad

My dad was also in the military and served in Vietnam. He doesn't talk too much about it, I think it's probably difficult to do so. I remember the day after I graduated from High School he took out all of his pictures from Vietnam and we went through them together. I don't know if he remembers that or not. I remember it because I felt very honored that he would share that with me.
My dad and I were not very close growing up. We didn't have a bad relationship or anything, just not as close as it could have been. All families have their issues and while you try and do the best you can with what knowledge you have, things are sometimes misunderstood and misinterpreted. I didn't really start to understand until I married and started my own family. I have often been guilty of being self righteous and judging my father far too harshly because I didn't understand or didn't have enough information. I am very sorry for this, and at the same time I know that life is far too short (or far too long, depending on how you look at it) to have too many regrets. The last several years I have discovered that I am a lot like my dad in many ways, and I am proud of that. I love him very much and am proud that he is my father. I wish I could change the past and the way I viewed things back then, but I can't. I will never be the perfect daughter, and no parent will ever be a perfect parent. My dad recently retired after 40 years in law enforcement. I think just like in the military, it takes a special kind of person to be in law enforcement. We're all so very proud of his accomplishments! Now he gets to enjoy the peace and quiet he loves so much - up in the mountains hunting and fishing and working on projects in his shop! :)


I love you Dad!

1 comment:

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

Such loving words and pictures of you and your dear father. Congrats on his retirement!