Saturday, July 18, 2009

Well, I went to see the midwife. Yes we are using a Certified Nurse Midwife this time. We're not doing a home birth, as this one will be a VBA2C (Vaginal Birth after 2 C Sections), and VBACS are illegal at home in AZ. I LOVE my CNM - she is awesome! I love that she believes and sees birth as a natural process, not a medical procedure. I love that her vbac success rate is over 90% - which is SOOOOO important to me. This is quite possibly going to be one of the most challenging things I will ever do, and we've spent over two years (since Thomas was two weeks old) researching, discussing, praying about vbacs vs. repeat c sections. We both feel that this route is the best route, the safest for Baby and me, and the right one for us.
James's birth was an unavoidable emergency c section. I'm grateful for technology and that we had that option or else both of us would likely be dead. However, it was a traumatic experience as the epidural wore off in the middle of the surgery (they didn't give me enough),and I started to feel everything and I wasn't mentally and emotionally prepared for it (who is ever prepared for an emergency c section?), and then they couldn't stop the bleeding (happens sometimes when it's an emergency c) and I became horribly anemic. After the surgery they wouldn't give me anything for the pain, which is not good after major abdominal surgery. I'm allergic to codeine, so they didn't want to risk anything me being allergic to anything else (This was New York by the way) and croak in my room (exact words). So it was extremely difficult.
With Thomas it was elective. My dr. was a you know what, but also a great surgeon. He convinced me that if I opted for a vbac my uterus would explode and I would die. Instead of educating myself, I trusted him. After the surgery, which went amazingly well, he said "I'll deliver one more after this and then I'm tying your tubes. You can't have more than 3 c sections." I was so angry......While thesurgery went well, after I got home I hemorrhaged twice and ended up back in the hospital, and dangerously anemic. It was very emotionally taxing.
So the VBAC journey began.
After much reasearching and fasting and praying, we are very confident in our decision to do a VBAC. I've never felt so right about anything except going on a mission, and marrying Jeff. I still am nervous, as I'll be doing it all natural no meds!! But we have an awesome doula who I trust to help us learn new pain management techniques. She's a great support. I just need to work through the fears and trust my body.
I had an appt yesterday and she said that I am measuring large, so there is a chance that I might be further along than I think - 3-4 weeks farther. We'll see though in 3 weeks when we have THE ultrasound. I would love to be further along! Then we'll have our baby here sooner!
I think it's a boy. I am 97% sure it's another boy.

6 comments:

Hey Lucy, I'm Home said...

You are an amazing woman! I'm so glad you are receiving the support and care you so rightly deserve this pregnancy. Our love and prayers are with you!

Heather Gray said...

My doctor said the same thing to me about tying my tubes, but she said she would let me have my 4 c-sections first. Even though we only want 4 kids, it was still a slap in the face for someone to tell me that I CAN't have anymore kids after that. Anyway, good luck on your VBAC. We wish you all the best!

sb said...

Having to have a c-section was a great fear of mine because of what you said - so many doctors won't get on board with VBACs and then they try to limit the number of children you have (and, although I don't speak from experience, boy are c-sections taxing on the body). Congratulations on the new little one and on being strong and pursuing the birth option you want. We wish you the best and can't wait to hear the results of your ultrasound!

Anonymous said...

oh my word! what craziness! i'm so sorry you had to go through all of that, what an ordeal. you are a brave woman! may the lord bless you and keep you my friend!

Teresa said...

After having one baby vaginal with epidural, one baby vaginal without pain meds at all, and one c-section, we are opting for a v-bac. You can totally do it! Emma's delivery with no meds was the best. No puking, not a lot of pain, and I was up taking a shower within a very short time. We didn't have a doula or anything else for pain management, and Patrick had to grab a nurse out of the hall to catch her. I hope we get lucky this time, but we'll see how big she gets. Good luck! I have faith in you. You are the only one that knows what is best for you.

Jess said...

It's a girl. I am 3% sure it's a girl.