Friday, October 12, 2007

Our little trip


So Jeff is assistant Academic Decathlon coach at Central High School where he teaches Math. The district was going to pay for all the teams in the district to go to DC, since they are studying the Civil War this year. Since I have been to DC so many times, they invited me to come along as an assistant coach. I loved Acadec when I was in it, and I love history, and I LOVE DC. So I was excited! Unfortunately, the district pulled out last minute and said they did not have enough to cover the trip, and so two schools dropped out of the trip and Central was one of them. So since Jeff was on Fall break, and I had begged for the time off and was lucky enough to get it, we decided to go to San Diego. We never went on a honeymoon since we got married over Christmas Break, and we haven't been on any trips just the two of us since James was born. So we left the kids with Lucy and Jerry and they had a ball! And we had an awesome time. We didn't do Sea World or the Zoo, we just relaxed and took it easy. It was a much needed mini vacation!! I missed the boys, as it was my first time away from them. But they were in good hands and well taken care of. So I knew that I could just have a good time and not worry as much as i normally would.

We stayed in a B&B in Chula Vista. I found it on the internet and it is a restored hotel that was quite the place to stay in its hey day in the 30's. I love art deco, so we picked that one. The owners are fabulous, and it was great!

We spent a lot of time wandering around Old Town San Diego the first day. Here is a picture I took at the Old Cosmopolitan Hotel in Old Town

We went to the Whaley House, one of two locations the US Government has declared as officially "haunted". Being a ghost story buff I thought it would be cool to check it out. Lovely old house, and the only creepy thing we found were the two guys that arrived when we did, and came in to tour the house the same time as us. One of them was trying to be very mysterious and fancied himself to be some sort of medium or psychic or whatever, but he came off as a complete and total WHACK JOB and he even spooked the tour guide, who I am sure sees his fair share of weirdos there. The weird guy came with his own body guard. We couldn't decide if the body guard was there to protect the guy or to protect US from the guy! He slowly walked over to the door to the court room (there's a court room in the house as well as a little theater) and he said all mysterious and whispery-sing-song-like "This must be the -


(dun dun DUUNNNNNNN ) ...court room...." Good job there Sherlock! Whatever gave you that idea? Could it be that it looks exactly like a court room? There was another family there - all ameteur ghost hunters. Whatever. And I thought I was weird. I discovered I am not so weird afterall! Anyway, we just found it to be a lovely old historical house (OK I thought it was cool, poor Jeff was bored out of his mind), that smelled like my Great Grandma Haws!

Court room in the Whaley House

Parlor of the Whaley House

We went out to eat, we did some shopping, we did some wandering. It was a nice day. The next day we spent downtown, and we also went to Balboa Park and saw an art festival and went to some museums. Boring stuff for you guys to read about. Relaxing for us. That evening we went out to Coronado Island, which we LOVE and we hung out at the beach and The Del Coronado Hotel. That hotel is gorgeous, and many old Hollywood films were made there. We decided that Coronado Island is our fantasy place to live..... given that a one bedroom 650 sq foot apartment is $900,000...... let alone the size of house that we need! A townhouse similar to the size of ours was 3.5 million dollars.... uh yeah. Won't be moving there anytime soon! but we had a lot of fun on the beach and wandering around. I'm sure you have noticed a theme by now.... lots of wandering.

The Del Coronado Hotel

The Beach


The last day we went to the San Diego temple and did a session. It was the perfect way to end a perfect mini get away from hectic crammed schedules and poopy diapers..... I suppose it's slightly inappropriate to talk about the temple and poop in the same sentence....crying baby calls - time to end the post until next time!


1 comment:

Allie said...

Wow! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Next time...can I go with you? :-) Sure miss you guys.